Rona's Wedding Thoughts

Thoughts on the institution of marriage, the insanity of the wedding industry, the small joys and large annoyances of wedding planning, and the pulse of love that's at the heart of why I'm doing this.

Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Moving Right Along

All right! So the ceremony venue's booked (although I'm still not sure if I should post it here in case some crazy ex-boyfriend decides to show up and ruin our special day), getting close to booking a reception site, I'm close to getting my dress (or at least, my first dress--seems like a lot of women change their minds after buying one), and our wedding party/committee will be meeting in January to get started on our work.

It still seems like the wedding is a long way away but I want to do as much as possible ahead of time so that neither H. nor I need to be stressed out the day of, or even in the days immediately preceding the wedding ("Yeah right!" I hear the former brides and grooms saying to themseles). In any case, preparation and planning are my strong suits and I've lined up an impressive group of wedding helpers if I do say so myself--friends who are equally talented at event planning, logistics, decorations, dealing with difficult family members, etc. Just the people I want to have around me on the big day.

Lastly, I want to use this blog to explore some of the thornier, more emotional issues that are coming up for me around the wedding planning, like how to share the workload more with my partner, or getting to the internalized socialization I'm falling into by getting so 'into' my wedding planning. A few months ago, I didn't even think we were going to get married, or would only get married after we had a baby, and then just at the courthouse. But I feel like this wedding 'project' is an important one for us, and can really teach us a lot about ourselves and each other. It's made me feel stressed out, yes, but it's also made me feel curious about all these underlying values, feelings and ideas I have about relationships, family, and marriage in a way that I don't think I would have if I wasn't planning a wedding. And for that reason alone I'm glad H. and I are getting married.

Also coming soon: booking a photographer! Wish us luck!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home