Rona's Wedding Thoughts

Thoughts on the institution of marriage, the insanity of the wedding industry, the small joys and large annoyances of wedding planning, and the pulse of love that's at the heart of why I'm doing this.

Sunday, January 6, 2008

Getting Stressed Again...

...but trying to breathe and stay calm. Settling on the place where our reception is going to be held has proven more difficult than I thought--expense is the big factor, with most places having minimums for number of guests (the one place we're looking at has a minimum of 200 guests, which would increase our costs by at least $1,000). I've thought over and over, 'Maybe we should just skip the big wedding and save the money for a house," but then as I've told H., I really can't imagine our wedding being any smaller than the 175 we're currently anticipating and still feeling like our community of family and friends is present.

I was reading some Thich Nhat Hanh this morning, some of his thoughts on Sangha (Buddhist term for spiritual or other community) and marriage, and I realized that we really can't compromise on our wedding size. It may cost a little more money to try and go with a bigger place, but in the end the blessings and joy that a wedding of our true community will far outweight any monetary cost.

Still, I'm a little torn by where, finally, we should plan to have our reception. There are so many fantasies and ideals I have--not to mention the ideals of our respective families that we must contend with, although, fortunately, they are being shockingly quiet about their wants--that I'm projecting onto this wedding. One of the things I've done to try and soothe any sorrow I might have about not having the wedding in the 'perfect' locale (e.g. a garden ceremony and reception site with beautiful views and delicious food--I've costed some of those places out and unfortunately they'd cost us at least $15,000 alone) by thinking, 'Well, H. and I could always have our ten-year anniversary vow renewal ceremony here...." That's helped a lot, thinking about the anticipated longevity of our relationship, how this wedding is just the beginning of a long, hopefully happy road ahead, which will be marked by many other 'firsts'. In this way, I've avoided getting too caught up in the idea of a 'fantasy' wedding, but that ole' socialization is pretty powerful.

Wish us luck as we make our final decision.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home