Rona's Wedding Thoughts

Thoughts on the institution of marriage, the insanity of the wedding industry, the small joys and large annoyances of wedding planning, and the pulse of love that's at the heart of why I'm doing this.

Thursday, January 17, 2008

Reception Venue Panic Attack

Had a bit of a reception venue panic attack today. Realized last night that our then-first choice for the reception, a Chinese banquet hall, might not be the best choice (kinda pricey, kinda run down facility, extra cost for matching table linens, etc. etc) but that if we tried to do it at the reception hall on the same campus as our wedding ceremony, we'd have to cut down on the invite list significantly. Well, I couldn't get this stuff out of my head (and I'd hd too much caffeine yesterday to boot) so Yours Truly ended up staying up most of the night worrying and doing planning on my computer and getting only about 3 hours sleep.

Fast forward to later on today, when I called the event coordinator for the campus where we're having our ceremony to inquire about whether the reception hall was still available. Alas, the woman we'd talked to before hadn't mentioned that it's alumnae weekend during our wedding, and that the reception hall was booked. Drats! So that lead was eliminated.

After that bad news, I sent a desperate-plea-for-help email to my wedding party--a smart, resourceful crew if there ever was one, and thank Goddess--and now have a couple more venues (including a small community center in the next city over, which I hadn't even entertained because it didn't seem 'nice' enough, but now seems like a pretty good deal) to add to my potential reception venue list. I'm so glad I finally reached out for help on this issue. H. just isn't big on organizing events and sometimes feels a little intimidate by my can-do-it-all attitude that he doesn't suggest things that might be perfectly good ideas.

So we're getting closer to finding the perfect place for our reception, and with the help of our friends and community, everything's going to be all right! I feel it now, I really do.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home