Rona's Wedding Thoughts

Thoughts on the institution of marriage, the insanity of the wedding industry, the small joys and large annoyances of wedding planning, and the pulse of love that's at the heart of why I'm doing this.

Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Who the Hell is a Size 0!

I've been scouring eBay looking for 'my' wedding dress--I've tried on a few that I like, see below, and am also looking for a reception dress that's shorter and less formal so I can dance the night away after the ceremony--and I have to say that it's weird how many 'size 0' or 2 or 4 dresses I'm finding. Given that I was a fairly petite size 6 for most of the last 10 years (and recently have graduated to a more 'voluptuous' size 8!), I'm really shocked that there are THAT many women out there who can actually fit into a size 0 bridal gown, especially given that they are usually sized SMALLER than street clothes! Which means, what are these women wearing in street clothes, size -4?

Are these women just extremely tiny, bird-like even, or are they starving themselves so they can 'look good' on their wedding day? I have to admit--as much as my so-called radical feminist side would like to deny this--that I want to lose a few pounds for the wedding so I can look good in the pictures, but I highly doubt I'll drop a dress size. More toned arms and back, yes, but going from an 8 to a 6, don't think so! That would just be too weird.

But there is a lot of this 'bridal bootcamp' mentality on the wedding sites I see. It's sad to me, but also a little understandable, as there is so much pressure on the bride to 'look her best' on her wedding day, as all eyes will be on her. I hope to divert a little of this attention away from me and to my hot husband-to-be, who will look dashing I'm sure, and is a much bigger clothes-horse than I am. It's a lot of scrutiny to be put under, especially as someone who doesn't particularly enjoy people staring at me (who does except for models?). But I'm trying not to freak out about it.

As for the size 0, 2 and 4 women out there--I tend to like your dresses darn it! Can some of the bigger women out there start selling their dresses on eBay please! There is really NOTHING wrong with admitting you're a size 8 or bigger.

2 Comments:

Blogger Gura said...

I discovered it ain't about the size, it's about how you work it! I found there are just dresses and styles that would never look good on me (ex halter tops) and styles that would always looks good on me (ex. mermaid). I came to understand that fashion nor our bodies had to be the enemy, but that as women we really had to take control of the fashion and stick to the things that worked for our bodies. I mean really, cutting fabric, is way easier than cutting out your body.

But I think the size 0 are always on sale because the regular sizes have already been bought up. But yeah, walking around campus, I could see alot of women who would be a size 0. And if those women get married when they're in their early 20s, they would be buying the size 0 dress.

As I understand it women often lose weight just before the wedding due to the stress or simply the activity up to the wedding.

BTW, the 3/4 sleeve bolero does wonders to your arms and shoulders if you don't quite get all or your arm curls in.

March 11, 2008 at 10:47 AM  
Blogger Rona Fernandez said...

Yeh i'm all about wearing flattering clothes for my shape, both for the wedding and in everyday life. but i still can't believe there are so many 0-4 sized women out there, early 20s or no! i don't think i was a size 0 since i was 17.

March 15, 2008 at 10:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home